Go To Search
Our GovernmentOur CommunityDoing BusinessThings To DoI Want To...
City of Manassas, VA
Press Releases
Bedroom Fire Safety Helps You Sleep Soundly at Night
Press Release Date: September 28, 2012

Fires in bedrooms claim almost 600 lives each year. They are caused by poor maintenance of electrical devices, overloading extension cords, using portable space heaters too close to combustibles, children playing with matches, careless smoking, and arson.

Chief Brett R. Bowman says, "I encourage everyone to follow these simple steps from the United States Fire Administration and the Sleep Products Safety Council to prevent the loss of life and property resulting from bedroom fires."

Kids & Fire: A Bad Match
Children are one of the highest risk groups for deaths in residential fires. At home, children usually play with fire - lighters, matches and other ignitables - in bedrooms, in closets, and under beds. These are "secret" places where there are many things that catch fire easily.

Keep matches and lighters locked up and away from children.

Check under beds and in closets for burnt matches, lighters, or papers. These are signs that your child may be playing with fire. Teach your child that fire is a tool, not a toy.

Appliances Need Special Attention
Electrical fires are a special concern during winter months which call for more indoor activities and increases in lighting, heating, and appliance use. Keep bedding, clothes, curtains, and other combustible items at least three feet away from space heaters. Only use approved electric blankets and warmers and check to make sure the cords are not frayed.

Tuck Yourself in for a Safe Sleep
  • Never smoke in bed
  • Have a mattress that meets the 2007 Federal Mattress Flammability Standard
  • Having working smoke alarm dramatically increases your chances of surviving a fire

To request a free smoke alarm for your home or a replacement battery, contact the City of Manassas Fire and Rescue Department by sending an email to the Fire Marshal or call us at 703-257-8458.
Press Contact:Francis J. Teevan
Fire Marshal

Archives


Manassas Fire and Rescue