Hosting a Special Event

Special Events on Public Property

Special events on public property are defined as any event held on public property that will include any for profit-activity or advertisements by a for-profit business. Special events include, but are not limited to, pageants, celebrations, sports events, historical reenactments, carnivals, music festivals and other entertainments, exhibitions, dramatic presentations, fairs, festivals, races (i.e., run/walks), block parties, parades, and other similar activities.

For information on public property special events regulations and requirements, please review the City’s special events ordinance.

Apply for a special events permit now.

Public property special event permits are issued by the Police Department. Approved permits are mailed to permittees at the address provided in the application. An electronic copy will be emailed to the email address provided.

Do you have questions or do you need help completing the form? Contact the Police Department’s Planning and Resource Manager:


Important Information for Special Events

Permittees may be responsible for the costs of any City services required for their event. The assessment of services needed is based on the needs of the event and is at the discretion of the City. A final assessment of costs and instructions for payment will be included in the approved permit. Costs for City services are assessed at the following rates:

          $50/hr per officer required           $60/hr per supervisor required

Public Property special event applicants shall have a general liability insurance policy and provide a certificate of insurance to the City of Manassas, naming the City as an additional insured. A copy of that endorsement must be provided to the City prior to the start of the event. A certificate of insurance without the additional insured status endorsement does not meet the standard of this requirement. Other insurance requirements for events are:

  • Minimum liability limit requirements for all event organizers of $1,000,000
  • If alcoholic beverages are served the event organizer shall have a minimum liability limit requirement of $5,000,000, including Liquor Liability. Higher limits may be required after review by the City’s Risk Management Division.
  • If any participant is an organization or company that has employees, they shall show evidence that they have workers’ compensation insurance with statutory limits that meet the requirements of the Virginia Workers’ Compensation Act.
  • Any other special insurance requirements based on specific and/or high-risk event activities as determined by the City.
  • All merchants, peddlers or vendors participating in the event must be licensed to do business in the City of Manassas with the Commissioner of the Revenue. Event organizers may obtain an umbrella permit for all business at the event through the Commissioner (703-257-8214).
  • All food trucks participating in the event must be inspected and approved by the City’s Fire Marshall (703-257-8455).
  • Approvals and inspections of temporary structures and amusement devices shall be coordinated with the Development Services Division (703-257-8273) and the City’s Fire Marshal (703-257-8455).
  • Applicants may be required to meet any conditions prior to receiving a permit to conduct a special event that is reasonably calculated as necessary to protect the health, safety, and general welfare of the persons attending the event or the public in general.