Liberia Restoration

Liberia, the 1825 Manassas house, is a touchstone to our nation’s history and a relic of a changing time. Both President Lincoln and Confederate President Jefferson Davis visited Liberia when the home was a Civil War military headquarters. It survived war and years as a prosperous plantation--thanks to the labor of more than 80 enslaved people at the start of the Civil War. After the war, Liberia was a dairy farm, and a family home before the Breeden family donated the house and surrounding land to the City of Manassas. In recent years, interior restoration efforts preserved Civil War graffiti on the home's walls and stabilized the structure. Efforts are underway to construct a garden and walking trails.  Liberia's 18 acres are an educational, cultural, and recreational resource for the Manassas community and visitors from near and far.
Liberia's grounds (8601 Portner Avenue in Manassas) are open during daylight hours. Liberia house is only open for special tours and events.
  
What Has Been Restored So Far?

What Are Restoration Plans?

Thanks to the SWIFT Corporation for a $25,000 sponsorship that supported the beautification of the City of Manassas by planting 100 trees at local schools and parks. Thanks to this generous contribution, trees were planted at: Baldwin and Weems Elementary Schools; Metz Middle School; Cavalry Run, Liberia House, Mayfield Fort, and Winterset Parks.

See how a donation of documents is helping us tell more about the Liberia story:


Read the Washington Post article about interest Liberia's enslaved

Want to Learn More?
Liberia Restoration1 
 Liberia Restoration2          
All sales of Manassas, A Postcard History, and Liberia Plantation, Sentry of the Ages benefit the Liberia Restoration Fund. See never before published images and enjoy some surprising stories about Liberia and Manassas. Buy Online
graffiti

Liberia is part of the Northern Virginia Graffiti Trail

get notified Stay up-to-date on what happening by subscribing below